Job Title: Advanced EHS Engineer
Location: Corona, CA
3M is seeking an Advanced Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) Engineer for the Industrial Mineral Products Division (IMPD) located in Corona, CA. At 3M, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter. Here, you go.
The person hired for this position will be part of the plant Environmental Health and Safety and Training group, and will assist in the coordination and completion of site Environmental Health and Safety compliance objectives. This experienced Engineer must use Engineering/Technical skills and knowledge of engineering/scientific concepts, procedures, standards, and industry awareness to identify and resolve EHS issues. This individual will initiate, implement, and complete projects and activities leading to improved EHS methods and processes to impact EHS within the facility. This position requires a self-starter with strong team skills and interpersonal abilities.
Typical duties consist of interpreting regulatory requirements, developing and conducting EHS training, investigating workplace incidents and assisting in the determination of corrective action, conducting workplace exposure assessments and determining mitigation/control measures, performing ergonomic evaluations and determining safeguards, tracking and monitoring EHS program effectiveness and conducting workplace and process hazard reviews.
Primary Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Performing and guiding technical EHS activities resulting from approved self-initiated or assigned projects and programs leading to innovative applications or extensions of existing or new programs/systems.
- Providing leadership for plant EHS programs including but not limited to: Fall Protection, LOTO, Machine Guarding, Ergonomics, Confined Space Entry/Rescue, Radiation Safety, Chemical Safety, TSCA, Site Emergency Coordination, Waste Management, and Respirators/PPE.
- Assisting facility in achieving Global Safety and Health Plan (GSHP) and global environmental management system goals and compliance.
- Applying scientific and engineering principles to drive EHS risk reduction efforts and compliance activities.
- Completing internal and external EHS compliance reports and analyze EHS data and report trends. Recommend plans for correction of gaps and provide EHS input to address change (e.g., plant Management of Change processes)
- Implementing on-going industrial hygiene chemical and noise assessments and monitoring plans; implement ergonomic programs to reduce risk of cumulative trauma and other ergonomic injuries at the plant.
- Actively supporting a Total Safety Culture environment through personal responsibility for safety, promoting a culture that reports incidents and potential issues, and actively supporting plant safety observation programs.
- Participating and/or leading portions of EHS self-assessments and/or audits. Acting as facility representative during agency inspections, including but not limited to MSHA, OSHA, fire department, and county.
- Interactions/Communications: Providing EHS knowledge and services on existing and new programs; communicate project or program status and results to management.
- Communicating effectively in written and oral forms with peers and others at varying levels within the organization. Presenting ideas well one on one, in small groups, and to larger audiences. Having the ability to convey the meaning and importance of EHS topics to non-EHS personnel and to influence others to take appropriate action based on such information. Actively seeking to continually improve communication and presentation skills.
- Providing technical assistance and guidance to plant by leading or assisting in safety committee teams and meetings, including EHS regulatory interpretations.
- Providing EHS support in the design and installation of new or modified equipment and management of change processes. Assisting with meeting plant Lean Six Sigma projects, including management of Green Belt projects related to EHS.
- Developing and presenting EHS training packages.
- Participating in and/or leading investigation of EHS incidents.
- Act as a back-up resource for site environmental functions, including but not limited to coordination of site hazardous and non-hazardous waste disposal, waste stream profile development, regulatory reporting, and environmental inspections.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited institution
- Minimum of one (1) year (academic and/or industry) experience working with EHS programs and procedures
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a science, engineering, or environmental health and safety (EHS) discipline from an accredited institution
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience working in an Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) role in a manufacturing environment
- Experience with Fall Protection, Lockout Tagout (LOTO) and/or Confined Spaces
- QEP, CSP, or CIH certification preferred
- Experience with state and federal regulations including OSHA, Cal-OSHA, MSHA, AQMD, and EPA
- Experience in a mining environment
- Experience with hazard and risk assessments and experience in a manufacturing environment
- Experience in implementation of comprehensive EHS management systems
- Detail oriented with strong prioritization and organization skills
- Team player with the ability to influence others in a matrix environment
- Analytical, leadership, project planning, program development and deployment skills
- Strong organizational, communication, and facilitation skills with the ability to work closely with plant management and production employees
- Self-directed, detail oriented, good interpersonal, communication, prioritization, and organizational skills
- Experience working on a cross-functional team
- ISO 14001 auditing experience
- Experience using SAP
- Strong computer and database skills
- 3M EJA certification highly desired.
Location: Corona, CA
Travel: May include up to 10% domestic
Relocation: Is authorized
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status)