Occupational Health and Safety Professionals Recognized as “Essential Workers” by the Federal Government
The Federal government has released updated Guidance on the Essential Critical Infrastructure Workforce, which is used by States, local, tribal, and territorial governments to help protect workers and the public during the COVID-19 pandemic. Version 3.0 of the Guidance now includes “workers who anticipate, recognize, evaluate, and control workplace conditions that may cause workers illness or injury” as essential critical infrastructure workers. This language was added at the request of AIHA, which also led a group letter from the following organizations:
- American Board for Occupational Health Nurses, Inc (ABOHN)
- American Board of Industrial Hygiene (ABIH)
- American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine (ACOEM)
- American Society of Safety Professionals (ASSP)
- Board of Certified Safety Professionals (BCSP) Human Factors and Ergonomics Society (HFES)
- National Environmental Health Association (NEHA)
To view AIHA’s media alert on this matter, please visit bit.ly/2Y6zGKt.
To view the updated guidance, please visit (PDF) bit.ly/3eKWwwO.