The role is responsible for the development, enhancement, implementation and the continuous improvement of all Environmental, Health and Safety programs, policies, and processes for Alpert & Alpert Iron & Metal, Inc. to achieve world class safety performance.
Promotes the value of safety for all employees, contractors, and visitors.
This position reports to the VP, Operations. This position has broad decision-making authority within a policy framework established by the VP, Operations and will keep the Yard Managers fully apprised of progress and challenges for area of responsibility.
This position has one direct report.
The EH&S Manager also has authority through influence and policy and process development.
REPRESENTATIVE PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*
Responsible for reporting to management on the performance of the QEH&S management system.
- Develop, schedule, and/or conduct EH&S-related training including New Employee Orientation, Fork Lift Operation, Hazardous Waste/ Hazardous Material Management, D.O.T. Hazardous Materials/Shipping, Hazard Communication, Emergency Response Team, Safety Committee, Safe work habits/workplace as directed by the VP of Operations.
- Develops and implements programs that align with the company safety objectives.
- Be an active participant and assist the Yard Managers with leading the efforts of the Central Safety Committee
- Responsible for EH&S Compliance issues: Hazardous Waste, Hazardous Material, Storm Water Safety, Records Documentation, etc.
- Hazardous waste compliance: Daily hazardous waste tank inspections, Weekly hazardous accumulation inspections, Complete and review manifests, land disposal restrictions, labels, shipping papers, truck marking against environmental standards, Coordination of waste analysis sampling annually.
- Hazardous Material Compliance: Maintain MSDSs; Keep chemical inventory up to date; Make basic changes/updates to written plans and procedures.
- Storm water compliance: Daily housekeeping inspections, beginning of day and ending; Monthly inspections of clarifiers/separators; Quarterly inspections; Annual inspections, Oversee sampling and evaluate effectiveness of BMPs.
- Safety compliance: Validate completion of daily forklift inspections; Job Safety analysis; Monthly site safety equipment inspection; Implement a contractor safety program for contractors working at facilities; Assist with workers compensation; document accident investigation reports; Oversee and Chair the Safety Committee.
- Investigation of accidents, incidents, and injuries. Assist in determining root cause, appropriate corrective action, and follow up to ensure implementation of corrective action.
- Conduct EH&S related inspections, audits, and checklists and any training specified under RIOS related requirements. Inspections may include but are not limited to weekly, bi-weekly, and monthly plant inspections to include fire extinguishers, emergency/exit Lights, emergency eyewash stations, spill kits, waste labeling and first aid kits. Report all findings in a timely manner to appropriate management and ensure follow up on inspection findings.
- Records compliance issues: Maintains all records of inspections, records collected during completion of job tasks, corporate compliance calendar, site maps.
- Prepare the monthly environmental/safety score card for each facility. Refine and update as needed.
- Coordinate inspections with regulatory agencies.
- Act as a liaison between consultants, legal counsel, and executives/plant management.
- Maintain an accurate and up-to-date database of Standard Operations Procedures (SOPs) Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDSs) and assist with obtaining approval for new MSDSs.
- Assist yard employees in all Environmental, Health, and Safety concerns.
- Ensure all waste handling procedures are within regulatory compliance and management policies and procedures.
- Assist in the management of handling, labeling, storage of hazardous and non-hazardous and ensure compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Communicate/Document EH&S requirements and monitoring of employees and non-employees. Become a valued resource for Operations in defining and implementing best practices.
- Actively partner with Operations on SOPs, process, chemical usage, handling and storage, waste disposal, etc.
- Follows the set processes and procedures to ensure conformance to RIOS and optimal performance of Alpert & Alpert goals and objectives as applicable
- Assist in other duties as needed.
- KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Bachelor’s Degree in Quality or Environmental Engineering/Occupational Health Science or related field required.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in leading and improving safety performance and regulatory compliance.
- In depth knowledge of OSHA regulations, accident investigation and analysis and workers’ compensation practices
- Outstanding problem-solving, analytical and interpersonal skills
- Project and change management skills/experience
- Accomplished computer skills including Microsoft Office applications
- Highly analytical and detail oriented, strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong work ethic and the ability to work in cross-functional teams to deliver concrete project deliverables in a timely manner
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and manage many tasks/projects simultaneously
- Experience working in a union environment.
- Ability to read, write and speak in Spanish and English
- Ability to understand and accurately follow technical documentation.
- Demonstrated facilitation skills
- Demonstrated management and conflict resolution skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must be able to effectively influence and motivate employees.
- Ability to present complex or difficult messages clearly and persuasively
- Constantly communicates and exchange information with team members and must be able to effectively communicate correct information between consultants, legal counsel and plant management/executives.
- Experience in performing ISO/RIOS audits a plus
- Project management or project management certification a plus
- WORKING CONDITIONS
The overall nature of this position requires consistent light physical exertion with minimal physical effort frequently required. There is constant exposure to environmental noises and hazards, exposures to cold, hot and wet weather. The constant physical demands are walking, talking, hearing and repetitive hand motions. The occasional physical demands are sitting, climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, handling, grasping, feeling and eye/hand/foot coordination. The employee may be required to lift up to 40 lbs on an occasional basis. Typical office and yard environment. The noise level is usually moderate to loud.
*The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees with this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job
Alpert & Alpert Iron & Metal, Inc. provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, marital status, disability, or veteran status.
Cathi L. Marx, ALCM, COSS, COSM, CHPPPresident / PrincipalAspen Risk Management Group2727 Camino del Rio South, Suite 1San Diego, California 92108
Off: 619/294-9863 ext.110, Cell: 619/742-1893, Fax: firstname.lastname@example.org, www.aspenrmg.com
Cal/OSHA Safety and Health Inspectors
Posted: Jul 12, 2018
Recruiting Cal/OSHA Safety and Health InspectorsThe California Division of Occupational Safety and Health (Cal/OSHA) is hiring safety and health inspectors throughout the state. These are field positions that conduct compliance inspections in many different settings and consult with employers on a wide range of health and safety issues.Cal/OSHA inspectors describe their jobs as interesting and enjoyable. They report enormous satisfaction knowing they are helping to improve health and safety conditions in workplaces besides making a positive difference in the lives of working men and women. In addition, the State of California offers long-term job security and excellent benefits, such as medical coverage and a pension. See the reverse side of this sheet for more information about Cal/OSHA.Examinations are offered periodically for the classifications listed below. Candidates must meet the minimum qualifications, possess strong analytical and communication skills, be able to prioritize tasks and meet multiple demands and deadlines. Bilingual candidates and candidates with combined safety and industrial hygiene experience are encouraged to apply.CLASSIFICATION MONTHLY SALARY RANGE Junior Safety Engineer $5,098–$6,078, plus differential*Assistant Safety Engineer $5,837–$7,303, plus differential*Associate Safety Engineer $7,632–$9,547 Junior Industrial Hygienist $3,977–$5,179 Assistant Industrial Hygienist $4,659–$6,366 Associate Industrial Hygienist $5,632–$7,692*Junior Safety Engineers and Assistant Safety Engineers receive a recruitment and retention pay differential of$200 per month.For descriptions of these classifications and their minimum qualifications, visithttps://www.jobs.ca.gov/CalHRPublic/Tools/ClassSalarySearch.aspx For a listing of current exam bulletins and job vacancies in the Department of Industrial Relations, visit www.dir.ca.gov/dirjobs/dirjobs.htm and click on “Browse Job Openings.” To apply for an exam, click on the exam bulletin link for the particular job title that interests you and click on the particular exam ID. Then click on “ACCESS AN OFFICIAL COPY OF THE BULLETIN ON THE DEPARTMENT OF INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS’ WEBSITE.” Follow the instructions to complete and file the exam application. You will be notified of your admittance status at least 10 days before the exam date and provided with instructions on taking the exam. You must take and pass the exam before applying for a job with Cal/OSHA. If you pass the exam, you will be placed on an eligibility list. To apply for a job, click on the job vacancy link for the particular job title that interests you and click on the job title link. This will take you to a page that requires you to either create a Cal Career account or login if you already have an account. Then follow the instructions to complete and submit your jobapplication.Cal/OSHA home page: www.cal-osha.ca.gov August 2
Posted: Jul 04, 2018
TriNet is a leading provider of comprehensive human resources solutions for small to midsize businesses (SMBs). We enhance business productivity by enabling our clients to outsource their HR function to one strategic partner and allowing them to focus on operating and growing their core businesses. Our full-service HR solutions include features such as payroll processing, human capital consulting, employment law compliance and employee benefits, including health insurance, retirement plans and workers’ compensation insurance.
TriNet has a nationwide presence and an experienced executive team. Our stock is publicly traded on the NYSE under the ticker symbol TNET. If you’re passionate about innovation and making an impact on the large SMB market, come join us as we power our clients’ business success with extraordinary HR.
JOB SUMMARY/OVERVIEWThe Risk Consultant is responsible for protecting workers’ compensation profitability and ensuring loss exposures are properly classified for a specific client group within a geographic territory. Profitability is protected through loss control initiatives, strong underwriting assessments, claims mitigation and application of correct workers’ compensation classification codes providing premium collection commensurate to exposure. ESSENTIAL DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES• Provide loss control consultations to clients – approximately 60% of service time is dedicated to loss control consultation. This includes surveying client operations, reviewing administrative and engineering loss controls, identifying loss trends, providing safety training and loss control recommendations as well as conducting meetings with client management to improve client workplace safety.• Develop, communicate and implement loss control action plans for high hazard and/or high frequency/severity clients.• Routinely partner with TriNet client service and sales teams to showcase loss control value to both prospects and clients in our common goal to grow organically and maintain excellent client retention.• Provide detailed loss control and auditing reports to internal concerns regarding client and prospect operations and exposures.• Ensure appropriate workers’ compensation classification assignments for proper premium collection.• Document all loss control and auditing activity per established procedures in a timely manner.• Other projects and responsibilities may be added at the manager’s discretion.JOB REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONSEducation: Bachelor’s degree (preferably in occupational safety and health or a related risk management field) and one to two years related experience required or equivalent combination of education and experience.Training Requirements (licenses, programs, or certificates): CSP, ASP, ARM, ACLM or equivalent designation desired.Experience: Minimum of two years’ experience in workers’ compensation loss control or occupational safety and health consultation.Other Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: • Excellent verbal and written communication skills• Ability to communicate with employees at all levels of the organization• Ability to read, analyze and interpret common scientific and technical documents.• Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.• Strong knowledge and understanding of both state and federal occupational safety laws and standards.• Fluent in English.• Excellent presentation and facilitation skills• A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards and a diverse workplace• Ability to adapt to a fast paced continually changing business and work environment while managing multiple priorities• Highly proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.WORK ENVIRONMENT/OTHER INFORMATION (Travel required, physical requirements, on-call schedules, etc.)• Daily local travel within the assigned territory is required. Up to 50% travel throughout the assigned service market to provide Risk Control services to remote clients and to conduct pre-contract assessments for prospective clients.• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to a wide array of work environments that may include a clerical office environment, manufacturing facility or construction site. The ability to endure extreme environmental conditions, such as heat and heights, is required.• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, move, bend at neck and reach below shoulder level. Employee is constantly required to sit, talk, hear, and use hands to operate telephone, computer and mouse. The employee is occasionally required to reach above shoulder level. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and rarely lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision.• The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Please Note: TriNet reserves the right to change or modify job duties and assignments at any time. The above job description is not all encompassing. Position functions and qualifications may vary depending on business necessity.TriNet is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against applicants based on race, religion, color, disability, medical condition, legally protected genetic information, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), age, veteran status or other legally protected characteristics. Any applicant with a mental or physical disability who requires an accommodation during the application process should contact a company manager, a company officer or a TriNet HR representative to request such an accommodation.
Colleen Forte, SHRM-CP
Senior Recruiter, Corporate Talent Acquisition
Posted: Jun 27, 2018
Gerdau RSW Safety Specialist
Gerdau RSW Los Angeles division has a job opening for a full time field safety specialist. Gerdau RSW is a reinforcing steel subcontractor with upstream rebar fabrication and local steel mill capabilities.
Gerdau Safety specialists work with Gerdau construction field superintendents and field foreman to insure safety hazards are identified and are completely abated or controlled by engineering, administrative, or additional PPE requirements on construction projects in the southern California region. Any changes to existing Gerdau safety policies and procedures will be documented by email, written into a formal safety plan for the project, approved by safety management, and communicated to all field crew members. The Gerdau RSW team of field supervisors and safety specialist’s insure that Gerdau’s safety systems are implemented on all of our construction projects. Our Southern California division office is located in San Bernardino, CA. A company fueled vehicle is provided for traveling to the construction sites and safety duty administration.
Corporate Safety Manager
Environmental Health and Safety Manager, Phoenix
Posted: Jun 18, 2018
Growing industry leader is searching for an Environmental Health and Safety Manager in the Phoenix area. Must have Bachelors and 6-10 years industry EHS experience. The role will have multiple direct reports and multi-site responsibilities. Ideal candidate will have mix of both Safety and Environmental. Must understand the importance of being in the plant on a daily basis. Must have strong leadership skills and effective communication skills. This is a financially solid company and is looking for someone to lead the EHS program to the next level.
Please send an MS Word resume to:
Tom Harrell, Recruiter
Select Search, LLC